1. Meet us on campus
We attend careers fairs and campus presentations in all states. This is your chance to get to know us before applying. You’ll have the chance to speak to partners, solicitors and members of our graduate recruitment team about what you can expect from life at Herbert Smith Freehills. You will also be able to find out more about our vacation clerkship and graduate programs.
2. Send your application
Your application should include:
- a brief cover letter outlining your interests and suitability for a position at the firm
- a current CV outlining work experience, extra-curricular activities, and academic and non-academic achievements
- a recent copy of your academic transcript.
- We ask all candidates to answer a few short questions about their interest in Herbert Smith Freehills and commercial law generally. We would also recommend reading our advice on preparing your application before applying.
Please send your application via our online recruitment portal to the main contact person in the office in which you wish to carry out your vacation clerkship, by the relevant application deadline.
We’ve prepared some tips on preparing your application.
3. Meet our people
We run events in each state throughout the recruitment period, where you can meet our lawyers in an informal setting. Chat with our graduates and junior and senior lawyers, and ask any questions that haven’t been answered.
4. Complete the online assessment
We use an online assessment to give you every opportunity to demonstrate your strengths and abilities and show us how you like to work.
We’ve included some information on our online assessment process to help you prepare.
We aim to make the interview as relaxed as possible. It’s less about us asking a list of prepared questions and more about giving you a chance to tell us all about yourself. Even so, the interview is your opportunity to present yourself in the best light.
We have listed some interview tips to help you prepare.
Our partners will call you with an offer to join us.
7. Start work at Herbert Smith Freehills
Begin your vacation clerkship.