Since working together is a good way to get to know each other, we often fill graduate positions through our vacation clerkship program. We offer a range of summer and winter clerkships in each of our Australian offices.
We also have opportunities throughout the year for you to meet with us on campus and at recruitment events.
We select many of our graduates through our vacation clerkships. During this immersive experience, you’ll receive hands-on practical experience, actively contributing, as you work on some of the diverse challenges facing the team you’re collaborating with.
You’ll gain a deeper understanding of life at the firm and what your future could look like if you join us. Some key features include the opportunity to:
- Sit within a specific team, delivering real work for key clients
- Before you join, submit a preference for a team to tailor your experience
- Navigate the first step of your career with partner and graduate mentoring support
- Attend workshops and presentations covering all our practice areas
- Contribute to our pro bono practice
- Work with cutting-edge technology through our innovation projects
- Meet and network with people across the firm
“When I was applying for clerkships the word on the grapevine was that Herbert Smith Freehills was a great firm at the top of its field, but in terms of culture was very serious. I began my clerkship with the expectation that that would be the case. My experience with the firm could not have been more different. From day one I found everyone at the firm to be warm, welcoming and friendly. Of course it is true that everyone takes their work seriously, but that is not at the expense of having a laugh and making the time for one another. I was particularly surprised by the amount of time that solicitors, senior associates and partners invest in junior team members.”
MOLLY MCINERNEY, 2018/19 VACATION CLERK